Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

What Are BB Creams and Why You Need One: Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream SPF 42 PA+++ Review.

BB creams or Blemish Balms were originally developed by dermatologists in Germany in the 50s. They were used to help woulds heal, and after a few trials the dermatologists noticed that the balm regenerated skin making it look younger and more elastic. BB creams were used on patients undergoing facial peel treatments, and they made a huge difference in how the skin healed, decreasing redness rapidly and making imperfections less noticeable.

Fast forward a few decades, and BB creams are available all over the world, being the latest craze in America. However, it was Koreans who popularized BB creams in their strive for perfect skin. Korean formulated BB creams offer a great variety of benefits and are quite different from any other cosmetics like foundations and tinted moisturizers.

In fact, BB creams combine all the benefits of a moisturizer, sunblock and foundation. It acts first and foremost as a concealer, covering redness, discoloration, acne scars and any other imperfections. Unlike foundations, it is not heavy and does not clog pores; it also creates a sort of smooth makeup-free look. In addition to being a perfect cover up, a BB cream has sunblock in it preventing aging and protecting the skin from free radicals. BB cream also has healing properties to help with acne, regenerative properties to maintain healthy and youthful appearance, and it can even tighten pores and minimizer wrinkles. Doesn't it sound like a perfect invention?

Due to my red and inflamed skin, I always have to use something to cover up my imperfections, I mostly use foundation and powder on top of it. I always felt though that wearing so much makeup contributed to my acne. I wish I could just go bare-faced... 

After some trepidation, I finally decided to purchase my first BB cream. After some research I realized that I should skip American BB creams (their formulations are mostly different from Korean ones and they are usually nothing more than glorified tinted moisturizers) and go straight for Korean brands. I found out that you don't have to spend a ton of money on Korean cosmetics because even lower end brands are very high quality.

One of the brands that caught my eye was Missha, a well-known company that actually has an American website. They are particularly famous for their BB creams. I picked mine up in a Japanese market here, in San Diego. I got a small, 20 ml bottle, to make sure I like it before investing in a large one. It is called M Perfect Cover BB Cream SPF 42 PA+++. The packaging is very ordinary and looks like a typical concealer.

This BB cream comes in five colors. I chose No. 21, Light Beige. I don't tan and like when my make up is pale.


As you can see, it looks and feels kind of like liquid foundation, but to be honest, it is different than foundation on application. While foundation feels heavy and has to be blended very well to become less visible, BB cream is absorbed almost immediately and is almost invisible. Even though this BB cream contains sunblock, I do not think it is enough to protect me in the California sunshine, considering I use just a little bit of it. I usually moistirize, put sunblock on, and then put BB cream on, followed by some concealer (if I have active break outs) and powder. 

There are different techniques of applying it, but I just apply it with the tips of my fingers all over my face. It goes on very smoothly and I immediately see a difference in my skin tone. It evens out my skin coloring, covers up acne scars and makes it look like I don't have pores. I feel that I can leave the house with just BB cream on and not feel like I have to cover up my face in shame. It definitely does not make my face shinier or break me out.

It is not perfect though. If you have very big pores, it would be kind of visible in the pores. Luckily, I only have big pores in one area on my nose, and it is not too bad, considering how good my face looks when covered with this BB cream.  The coverage, however, does not last very long, I feel like four hours is a good time for it, after that it kind of has a tendency to disappear. Luckily it does not flake like some foundations do.

OVERALL: Recommended if your skin does not have very enlarged pores and you want a quick fix for your face in the morning.

Ingredients: Water(Aqua), Cyclomethicone, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Zinc Oxide, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil, Phenyl Trimethicone, Talc, Arbutin, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Dimethicone, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Squalane, Adenosine, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Beeswax(Cera Alba), Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Caviar Extract, Algae Extract, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract, Ceramide 3, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance(Parfum), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Salicylate, Hydroxycitronellal, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol
MAY CONTAIN[+/-; Titanium Dioxide(CI 77891), Iron Oxides(CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)]

No comments:

Post a Comment