Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Potato Salad with Champagne Vinegar

I am Russian, so potatoes are in my blood. I could just eat them all day every day. I particularly like a good potato salad. However, a usual potato salad is loaded with calories and fats. In my search for healthy recipes I found this potato salad from Food and Wine Magazine, which substitutes mayonnaise with canola oil. I do not use canola oil, so I, in turn, substituted it with olive oil. Champagne vinegar adds some acidity without the harshness of other vinegars.

Ingredients:
 
1 pound fingerling potatoes 
2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar  
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil  
2 scallions, sliced 
1 shallot, minced  
Salt and freshly ground white pepper (I couldn't find white pepper corns, so I just used ground white pepper, which was just as good)
 
Instructions:
 
1. Boil the potatoes until they are tender. Please do not allow them to overcook. Peel them and cut into 1/4 inch round slices.
 
2. Whisk the Champagne vinegar with the mustard. Pour the olive oil slowly while whisking it until smooth. Add scallions, shallot, some salt and while pepper. Add the potatoes and mix everything thoroughly. Taste to see if it needs more salt or pepper. Let the salad sit in room temperature for 10 minutes before serving allowing the flavors to come together.
 
 
I served it with some sautéed chicken thighs and wilted kale. Bon Appetit!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment